Panchgani and Mahableshwar have been my favorite long weekend getaways since as long as I can remember. As a fat kid that I was, I remember gobbling down 4 huge glasses of Strawberry with Cream in that serene weather of Mahableshwar. Though now, I prefer gulping down 4 pegs of Old Monk in that weather, my love for the food that we get there remains unhampered! This post is dedicated to my wonderful foodie adventures in and around Panchgani and Mahableshwar. I have chalked down an ideal itenary for a foodie to follow on a 2 day trip from Mumbai to Mahableshwar. Though it is unreasonable to ask all my readers to follow this exact schedule, it would be great if you could try out the food I have listed below as and when you can.:)
Before I start, let me mention that PLEASE, OH PLEASE, when you are travelling outside Mumbai, DO NOT eat at a McDonalds or drink coffee at a CCD!! Instead opt for a hot crispy Vada Pav with a nice cutting Kadak Masala Chai! 😛
- Start from your house in Mumbai around 7 am. Make a stop at the iconic Ramashray, Matunga and gorge on a plate of their divine “Upma Podi” along with some steaming Filter Coffee. (I would’ve suggested the Onion Mysore Rava Dosa, but that is available only in the evenings).
- After the amazing breakfast, drive… drive and drive….till you reach near Panchgani (around 11am). There are a lot of Sugarcane Juice stalls you will encounter when you are nearing Panchgani. Have a tall glass of that fresh sugarcane juice! Just Divine! Also, this will fill you up till your lunch!!
- After the Juice, I suggest that you take some rest at the Hotel or apartment you are staying in. Get out around 2, do some sightseeing and some shopping in the cute little Panchgani Market. Enter into “LUCKY BAKERY” and try to get a place to sit. Order for the Chicken Burger, Chicken Pizza and the Sausages.
- Post Lucky, go back to your hotel. Get out at around 6 in the evening and drive to Mahableshwar. Gorge on the Roasted Corn, the Strawberry and Cream and the Candy Floss. Do some boating and play some Pseudo Gambling games:P.
- Post some chilling in Mahableshwar, head back to your hotel. On your way, pick up some (I mean a lot) of Old Monk and some roasted Peanuts and Chana from “Rajesh” this very prominent shop in Panchgani Market. They roast peanuts and chana then and there and give you hot and crispy salted peanuts. Once you reach the Hotel, start drinking Old Monk and have some mast chakna in the form of peanuts!! 🙂 You can definitely skip dinner 😛
- Day 2 – Have light breakfast in the Hotel or if you wanna try local, go back to Lucky Bakery and try their amazing Bun Maska with Chai!
- Post the breakfast, head to Satara (a place which is around 75 kms from Panchgani. On the way to Satara, you will find this restaurant called “Chathurthi” at Wai. You just absolutely need to have their Misal Pav! One of the best I have had! If you can, also try their Poha.
- Head to Satara, do some sight seeing their. I recommend going to Kaas – Valley of Flowers and the Thoseghar Waterfall. When you are hungry enough for lunch, head to “Hotel Pranjali” in the heart of Satara. There, have the “Tupatla Mutton” which means Mutton in a ghee based gravy. It is truly one of the best things you will have!
- Post lunch you can go back to Panchgani and chill in your hotel. For Dinner, head to Hirkani for their usual Chicken Rassa and Bhakari. The food there has been consistently good.
This schedule, for me is the most ideal way of eating on the choicest food over the weekend, in and around “Panchgani and Mahableshwar”.
I really hope you guys can try some, if not all of the food that I have recommended.
Do let me know what you feel about this post! 🙂