There are many many different varieties of Fried Fish across various cuisines in India. Presumably, my favorite is the Maharashtrian style fried fish that my Mum makes. Unbelievably tasty, surprisingly quick to make and most importantly the healthiest of all the types fried fish (no deep frying needed), this is one recipe that you want to know!
- 10 Pcs of Fish washed & cleaned throughly. (check out the size in the pics below) (PS. I got in cut from the Koli (fish vendor) itself).
- 1/4 Tsp Turmeric Powder.
- 1 Tbsp Chilli Powder (more if you like things really spicy).
- 1 Tbsp Tamarind Pulp (you get ready pulp in the market).
- Salt as per taste.
- Mix the Turmeric Powder, the Chilli Powder, the Tamarind Pulp and the salt to make a paste. Add a little water to get that pasty consistency.
- Apply this paste thoroughly to the pcs of fish. Be generous! Really generous.
- Keep the fish aside for an hour (atleast) for effective marination. More the better! I like to keep it overnight (in the refrigarator).
- Take the skillet you have at home and heat it on a high flame.
- Add some oil in it (not a lot since we arent deep frying it!)
- Wait till it becomes really hot and then start putting the fish on the oil.
- Fry the fish through both sides untill it becomes nice and crisp.
- Voila! You are done.
This Fish Fry goes well with anything & everything but my most favorite ways to eat it are with Varan Bhaat (Dal Rice) and as a Chakna to go along with my beer!